Spring/ Summer 2017 : Trend Review
With SS17 just around the corner I thought I would do my research to see exactly what is in fashion in the coming weeks. From New York to Milan to London - there are a variety of looks this season, meaning there will be something to catch your eye.
I feel like there aren't many "trends" however, but mainly key details and styling tips. See for yourself..Here's my Top 12.
1. Just keep swimming: Showcased by Miu Miu this one is a nod to all things seaside. Whether it was inspired by the Olympics in Rio or the British seaside - think Seashells, rolled up towels and printed swimming costumes.
2. Let's hear it for the Boy: Just think boxy shirts teamed with feminine fabrics and you've nailed it. Don't forget the unlikely colour combinations.
3. Stripes : A great one for any season. This one was shown by Nina Ricci. Any fabric, any item of clothing. Think mainly blouses and jackets.
4. Pretty in Pink : This will always be one of my favourite trends (It's in the name - obviously!) It doesn't just have to be like pretty floral prints shown here in Milan. be as bright and bold as you like. Mainly think fuschia. There is a shade out there for everyone. BE BRAVE!
5. Gingham : This is an old favourite which comes out season after season. It is so SPRING! But this year, it has had a make over. Forget Little House on the Prairie and think Henry Holland.
6. Long sleeves : Say no more, the longer the better.
7. Straps: This season it is all about the straps. Think pretty fifties style dresses with embellished spaghetti straps.
8. Broad Shoulders : How broad are yours? Just ask Balenciaga. Add your shoulder pads to dresses and Boxy blazers for a nod to this catwalk trend.
9. Tiny bags : This is the least practical trend but the cutest. How small is your bag? Enough to fit your phone and a few coins? - That is all you need (apparently)
10. Let's play Polo : The iconic kit of a tennis player - Think not. At Preen by Thornton Bregazzi (one of the highlights of London Fashion Week) this is the key item for this SS. Just add a frill or a feminine fabric and you're bang on trend.
11. Anoraks : Thought an anorak couldn't be sexy? Just as Donatella Versace. Team yours with a second skin body suit and you're festival ready!
12. Slip dresses : Any print, any fabric and any style. Layer it up in the cooler weather and you will be looking bang on trend.
So that's my top 12 trends. There are loads more out there, I didn't even get started on brocades, sport luxe or ruffles. I feel that is is more about detail this SS17 rather than actual themes and trends. Being on trend this Spring is more accessible by just choosing a few key details to tweak on existing items. Don't choose them all at once!